Free Your Playing is about lots of things
- Do you ever have aches and pains when you play?
- Do you ever get nervous?
- Do you ever feel uncreative?
I have been teaching Free Your Playing, which looks at these issues, for 15 years.
Free Your Playing is an exploration of your relationship with your instrument. What drew you to it? What do you love about it? What do you hate? Does it give you pain? What is your highest dream about it?
- Let's see if we can do something about those aching muscles and that tension. We can do better than just making them go away. We can find the underlying reason so they don't come back!
- Does performing make you nervous? That means it means a lot to you! What symptoms do you get? Shaking? Paralysed? Hot? Cold? Distracted? Voices in your head? We will look at these and how they can help us. Yes, help!
- Do you feel stuck with the notes on the page? Wish you could express them better? Wish you could express your musical self better? Let's do it!
Free Your Playing looks at all these issues. There is no set way of working - it changes with people and what they need. It is like a musical improvisation - with fruitful starting points and sound technique, but flexible and spontaneous, and able to explore emerging pathways thoroughly. It is tailored to your individual needs as they emerge. But there are some general principles. They start here.
What I do:
Yoga, massage, Feldenkrais, Process Work, clowning, drama, play, spontaneity, improvisation, composition, life myth, singing, drawing...
I will use any or all of these techniques to open you up to the musician you really are. It is fun but we also dig deep.
Dealing with a Problem